Thursday, August 16, 2018

Finding History in a Beautiful Morning


Contemporary 1 - A beautiful Morning

History.

I looked it up in Merriam-Webster. Good old Merriam gave me words like “Tale” and “Story”. It said that history is a chronological record of significant events. It didn’t say, however, who would judge which events were significant nor how they would so be judged. It did suggest that often an explanation of the significant events’ causes would be included. As I read further Merriam clarified that “history” is simply the events of the past.

hmmm, Past. So, what exactly is “past”? Back I went to Merriam. “Just gone or elapsed. A period before the present.”  Well, that made sense, I guess. Still one more question. “Present.”

“Now existing or in progress.” Good old Merriam-Webster. Has a definition for everything, which, by the way, according to Merriam, is “a: all that exists b: all that relates to the subject.”

Based on this information so far, there are any number of philosophical paths I could shoot off on but I began with “History”, so I guess I should stick to history. Based on what I’ve seen so far, then, I’m thinking a case could easily be made that all of what I’ve written in this post so far, is “History”, in more ways than one. I wrote it and that’s an event. It is past, not present meaning it is not “now” so it must be “before”, so it is history.

Now, if something so recent can be called “History”, certainly what happened yesterday can be called History, or last week, or last year. We often think of History as the things that transpired in 1957 or 1870 or 1738 or 1600 or 1492. But here we are saying that what happened just yesterday is history! If what happened yesterday is history than stories of the Drums of Drums from yesterday, or even this morning, seem relevant to this blog.

That was a way-too-long-way of saying that as occurrences from the present take place that may have relevance to the Drums of Drums story, I’ll write them up and post them here, sort of “in-between” the stuff about the more distant past. I have a friend who refers to stuff like this as “Contemporary History.” I suggest that “Contemporary History” may be even more important than plain old “History History” because, as the occurrences of the moment become the actions of the far distant past, the reports chronicling the events of the present will become invaluable to those of the future seeking to understand what happened in the past.

So, we begin with this morning, August 15, 2018. It was a beautiful morning.

The sun had not been up for very long when I decided it was the perfect morning to take a walk. Lately it has been raining. It has been raining since, well, it feels like forever. Today dawned bright and clear and, most importantly, dry. At least the sky and the air were “dry”. The ground and the grass and the trees and the roofs were all covered in a thin layer of water as if all that moisture that had been making it rain these past few days just decided to lay down and rest for a while.

So, I headed out across the Drumyngham property. I’ve allowed what once was an orchard, to grow wild, to fill itself with Raspberry bushes, Goldenrod, Queen Anne’s Lace, and, unfortunately, a bit of Poison Ivy. As the ground turned from the browns and whites of winter into the greens and pastels of spring, I cut a path through this orchard so I could wander past the old apple trees, some now overgrown with grape vines and Virginia Creeper, past the Dogwood and the Blue Spruce, and through the stands of Goldenrod that I knew by fall would be as tall as me, or taller. It was down this path that I walked today.

The layer of water that had taken its rest on the grass and leaves around me began to grow restless, so formed into droplets, and began jumping down to the ground below, or, as was often the case, onto my head, cheeks, or nose. As the sun made its way higher into the sky, these droplets caught some of the sun’s rays and broke them into hundreds of thousands of tiny rainbows causing the scene in front of me to dance in flecks of colors almost too tiny to see. It was beautiful. What a pleasure.

The growing warmth of the sun gave many of the orchard’s insects the courage to “come to life” and take flight, some sending tiny splashes of the morning dew up into the air about them as they leapt from their leaf or stem. Small Flower Flies, always so brave and curious, looking like tiny bees in their yellow and black striped outfits, began to make me the center of their curiosity as they circled around my head, landing on my hands and arms, tasting to see if I had brought them something delicious to breakfast upon.

The Katy-dids had all by now stopped their raspy overnight scratchings of their namesake leaving just the night crickets to call for their mates. Their constant soft whir was beginning to give way to that of the day grasshoppers whose calls can raise a sound that at times can be deafening. I know that later in the day they will be joined by the harsh buzzing calls of the Cicadas and the orchestra will then be in full voice. But not yet, it is still early, the songs still soft, like the dew.

As I made my way along my path, harsh caw-caws of some crows could be heard coming from the field down below. Suddenly the scolding cries of a much closer Robin replaced the caws in my ears as mother Robin warned me to stay away. Her nest is near, and she means business, so stay away, she warns. A Mourning Dove sitting high in one of the spruces beside me coos her soft, sad call, as if trying to sooth mother Robin and let her know this visitor means her no harm.

By now my pant legs had become quite soaked and, as I was reaching the end of my path, I turned to head back in, back into the house where I grew up, where so many of my memories reside, as do I. As I stepped from the bright sun into the cool darkness of the basement, I thought of how often I’d done this same thing in the past, following my dad, hearing my mom call me from the kitchen above. Both are long gone now but it seemed I could still hear Mom saying, “Get out of those wet things! You are dripping all over everything and you’ll catch your death of cold!” and my dad chuckling, as he always did when she made such a command.

I almost hated to do it, but I did as she asked and pulled off my wet things. I hung them on the clothes lines still stretched around the basement where she, herself, had tied them. I hated to do it because it meant my morning was ending and the day now needed to get started.

So now this morning, too, has taken its place among the many memories I have of life at Drumyngham.

What relevance this will have for some future historian researching the past I’m sure I don’t know, but it sure was a beautiful morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment